Faculty Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Institute for Groundwater Studies
Cleaner (Post level 18)
Job ID: 3201
This post was previously advertised as Job ID 3105. All applications received in response to the previous advertisement, will automatically be considered again. Previous applicants therefore do not need to reapply.
Only UFS employees and employees of the Service Providers who are employed on the UFS campuses can apply.
NB! Hard copy applications may be submitted at University of the Free State, George du Toit Building, Human Resources Department (Reception: Room S201).
*NB! Applications may only be submitted online. Please ensure that all relevant documentation is attached to your application. INCOMPLETE OR APPLICATIONS SENT VIA EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Please note: Compile/Convert all the below documents as one document (PDF or Word), when uploading it on the online applications system.
- A detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
- Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records;
- Certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- A certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID);
- A copy of your driver’s license (if applicable).
Duties and responsibilities:
- Maintenance of a professional reception area.
- Clean chemistry and bacteriology laboratory.
- Responsible to sterilise and wash glassware.
- Ensures that:
- Stock for cleaning are ordered in time so that the activities of the laboratory are not halted.
- Sample bottles are capped and ready for collection by clients.
- Filters of the water systems are replaced on time.
- Filter paper and parafilm containers are kept on level for use in the laboratory test.
- Tube containers are kept at least on a 50% level.
- Sterilise strips are dated and filed.
- Receive samples at reception and lead clients in the submission of their samples according the SOP.
- Perform various tasks related to laboratory cleaning as and when required.
- Grade 10 on NQF level 2.
- Logical thinker – able to maintain laboratory stock by requesting orders in time.
- Flexible attitude and willingness to work outside normal office hours.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure when necessary.
- Ability to work independently and accurately.
- Accountability and dependability.
- Ethics and integrity.
- Good physical strength.
- Experience to operate autoclave.
The salary scale is available on request.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9811/ 9814 /9848 /7267 or email Recruit@ufs.ac.za
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications that are incomplete will not be considered. The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
External candidates can click HERE to apply online.
UFS staff members can log onto PeopleSoft, click Self Service, Recruiting, and Careers to